About this class
The laboratory skills programme is designed and delivered by real scientists to provide science students with an opportunity to gain hands on experience using real laboratory equipment.
The laboratory experience programme will also allow students to decide whether laboratory research lives up to their expectations (before deciding which undergraduate degree to apply for).
During this course students will learn transferable skills suitable for any laboratory work.
- Intellectual skills, such as research skills and analytical techniques, Interpreting lab data, examining reports and understanding statistics
- Interpersonal, teamwork, and leadership skills: independence, taking leadership, and handling responsibility.
- Organization, planning, and time management: Being able to plan and organize your time
- Communication skills: writing reports, giving oral presentations, and listening to complex instructions and lectures.
- Problem solving: the ability to look at a problem from many angles and find a solution. For example, having to adapt and modify an experimental protocol to the results of lab and practical work.